Enemy Pie

Enemy Pie is a great children’s book written by Derek Munson and illustrated by Tara Calahan King. It is about a boy who doesn’t like a new kid named Jeremy who just moved in down the street. He talks to his father about it, and his father says to make “Enemy Pie” to get rid of enemies. I think that when his father says “get rid of” he just means to make them not your enemy anymore. They make the Enemy Pie, and his father says that he has to spend a whole day with Jeremy to make it work. The boy then asks Jeremy if he wants to play, and he’s okay with it, so they play throughout the whole day and have a lot of fun with each other and they teach each other new skills that they are good at. Later in the day, the boy realizes that Jeremy isn’t a bad kid and he’s a good friend, so he doesn’t want to give Jeremy the Enemy Pie. Unknowingly, the dad’s plan all along was to make them friends. After they have dinner at the boy’s house, the dad brings out the pie for dessert, and the boy is trying to give his dad signals that he shouldn’t give him the pie because it’s Enemy Pie. When Jeremy is about to eat the pie, the boy doesn’t want him to have the effects of Enemy Pie, so he tells him that it’s poisonous. Jeremy looks at him and says “Then why has your dad already eaten half of the pie?” So Jeremy eats his pie and the boy doesn’t see anything strange happening, so he eats his pie. This story has a really good moral, and it is your perspective of someone can change very quickly if you just get to know them more. The boy didn’t know how nice Jeremy was, so he just thought that Jeremy wasn’t a nice kid. After spending time with Jeremy, he discovers how good of a friend Jeremy is, so they become great friends. This book would be a good book for children from around 8-10 years old, and overall it is an amazing, meaningful picture book.

One thought on “Enemy Pie

1. Hey Ryan! Your blog was great! I liked how you gave so much detail in your sentences and the transition words you used. ‘Enemy Pie’ is my favourite entry that you posted. I thought it was better than the other blogs because it had less grammar mistakes and things that don’t make sense. The third sentence in the ‘Sweetest Fig’ states, “The dentist named Monsieur Bibot says she doesn’t have an appointment, but still checks on her tooth.” Doesn’t make any sense.

I agree that ‘Enemy Pie’ is a great book, but adding in a separate concluding sentence would improve the post significantly. Also, I agree with how you said this story has a fabulous moral. The way his father ‘got rid’ of his enemy was fantastic and intelligent.

A personal connection I made to this story is my love of pie. Honestly, I’m not sure if this is the best, but I couldn’t figure out something else.

One question, more like a suggestion, I have is if you could write a separate concluding sentence. In this blog, right after stating what age you think the book was intended for, you wrote ‘overall it is an amazing, meaningful picture book.’ Adding on, the concluding sentence seems notably similar to the other posts.

All in all, your blog surpassed the standards, but can still be improved.